say your Board is unhappy with current management,
in spite of months or even years of attempts to get
them to improve their service.
WHERE TO START?
- There are over 200 organizations in the GTA claiming
to be “condominium management companies.”
Whom to choose: a daunting task for a condominium
Board of Directors.
Just so you know, half of these companies shouldn’t
be allowed anywhere near condominiums. Let me stress:
shouldn’t be allowed anywhere near condominiums.
Of the remaining 100 or so, perhaps 30 are any good
at all. Of those 30, there are maybe 10 that qualify
for my “long list.”
WHAT TO DO?
- How to start?
- Management company references: what questions
do you ask of these references?
- Who inspects the properties managed by these companies?
- How do you sort through their glossy promo materials?
- Who’s got time for this?
- How do you narrow down the candidates to a “short
list” for interviewing?
- What questions do you ask at the interviews?
- How do you decide who’s best qualified to
manage your condo corporation?
- Who designs the management contract? What safeguards
will protect your condo corporation?
- Who’ll watch over the transition from the
old management to the new?
- How do you monitor and assess the ongoing performance
of the company you’ve chosen?
- How do you know they’ll do what they’ve
promised to do?
- How will you know when to be hands-on/hands-off?